Thursday, June 19, 2008

19 June 2008 - A little rain = more flowers (backyard)

hollyhock makes a very early appearance this year (global warming?????)

sulphur flower (named for its intense yellow color, not its smell)

saponaria (I love the pale pink hue, a popular shade in my wardrobe)

lilac

chocolate flower (yes, it has a chocolate scent)

centranthus alba (aka white valerian)

milkweed

dianthus (first bloom)

sedum

tomatoes (variety: Fantastic, an early producer)

above and below: orange globe mallow


above and below: buddleia alternifolia
My neighbor, a former resident of Oregon, flinched
when she saw this shrub in my garden.
Apparently, buddleia is quite invasive in cooler, wetter environments.
Here, it grows slowly but steadily in our arid conditions.
I planted mine in early summer 2005.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i would love to have those chocolate flowers for myself...

arlene,
Federal Way flowers